Friday, April 17, 2009

GTA Flop

So the sales numbers for Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars are out, and as I suspected, they are disappointing. For some reason, everybody was expecting this game to sell great, there were analysts calling figures in the hundreds of thousand, yet I had commented here and there that I didn't think this was going to be the case. And I was right.

The thing is, in my opinion, this is just not the kind of game that DS owners buy. This is a different kind of consumer base. The same thing happened to Mad World on the Wii. Nintendo platforms just don't have any space for M-rated titles. And you can bet all your money that the same thing is going to happen to The Conduit, although I really hope I'm wrong on this one.

Nintendo has built such a psychological profile around their consoles such these M-rated titles seem to be in almost perfect dissonance with the feeling that the consoles are supposed to project. And so, this is what happens. Maybe if developers keep trying and releasing mature titles, eventually this attitude will change, but I don't think they will be willing to keep losing money on this. Too bad for mature gamers though... we will have to keep making do with Zelda, Mario, and the ocasional RPG title :-)

No comments: