Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Gooey Situation

So I finally bought into the hype and got World of Goo from WiiWare. This game won the Game Developers Choice Award for Best Downloadable Game of the Year. And I have to say I am enjoying the game. It's a very interesting concept, the puzzles are challenging, and have a different twist introduced by the physics interactions of the goo...

I haven't finished the game, so I don't have a full picture of the game yet. But, from what I've seen so far, I still can't see how this game could possibly beat Braid as best downloadable game of the year. Can someone explain that to me? I mean, don't get me wrong. I think World of Goo is a great game. I love the concept art, the music, the gameplay... but I think Braid is just much better. I don't know, maybe it's just me... after all this award is given by the developers themselves, and I know the guys at 2D Boy are more popular among developers than the rogue Jonathan Blow, so my only explanation for Braid not winning the award is mere politics...

As far as I'm concerned, there is no doubt: The best downloadable game last year was Braid.

No comments: