Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Watchmen

If you haven't watched this movie, I really recommend it. I never read the graphic novel and I've heard the movie is very loyal to the source, so I guess the credit goes to the comic - so I guess the movie made me want to read the comic :-) The movie touches some interesting aspects relating to the human nature, just as The Dark Knight did, and well, I just love any piece of art that makes me think.

If you haven't seen the movie, and you're planning to see it, stop here because there are some MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD.

The most interesting plot piece the movie has to offer, in my opinion, is the state of affairs of the movie's universe at the end of the film. Without going into much detail, one of the heroes, who is known as "the smartest man in the world" (rightfully so) is the one responsible for the planning of armageddon, sending the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation. When the other heroes find out, they try to stop him... but it's too late, he's always one step ahead of everyone. I like the line where he says "Do you think I'm so comic book supervillain? Do you think I would tell you my plans if you had the slightest chance of stopping me? I triggered everything 20 minutes ago... it already happened". He destroys several major cities in the world, not with bombs, but something more devastating that basically vaporizes everything. It all looks like the work of one of the good heroes, as this is the kind of power he wields.

And here's where the moral conundrum comes. The world thinks the other hero did it (a hero called Dr. Manhattan). And so the world, that was about to go into nuclear war, after this event, goes in peace to unite against this new enemy, and they vow to fight Dr. Manhattan. This was the plotter's plan all along... he knew this would happen, and this is how he saw he could achieve real lasting world peace. He now suggests to everyone that they should now support him and condone the lie, that Dr. Manhattan has to take the blame and go into exile for the good of humanity, that his plan, despite the deaths of millions of people, worked, and was the right thing to do. Dr. Manhattan agrees... but another hero, called Rorschach says people have to know the truth, that this is no way to achieve world peace... this was a massacre. The remaining heroes are on the line... Rorschach tries to leave, but Dr. Manhattan cuts him.

Now, Dr. Manhattan is this all powerful being that can do pretty much everything. Rorschach says "Never compromise... not even in the face of armageddon". He basically tells Dr. Manhattan that people need to know, and he's going to have to kill him, because otherwise he's going to tell everyone what happened, and Dr. Manhattan says he can't let him do that, as he thinks this will put the world back where it was, eventually ending in total destruction. So Rorschach tells him "So this is it?... one more body to lay on the foundations where you'll build your world peace?... Do it!", and... Dr. Manhattan vaporizes him... The movie ends with Dr. Manhattan going into exile to another galaxy, the other heroes keeping silent, and a journalist finding the Rorschach's journal.

So, as I did before in the post about Fable 2, I ask you now... what would you do? What do you think is the right choice here? I mean, after everything has been done, would you keep quiet for the benefit of this peace? Or do you think it is important to tell the truth about what happened, whatever consequences that may carry? Are you a Dr. Manhattan or a Rorschach? Please comment and elaborate on your reasons :-)

I will say where stand in a later comment and why.

2 comments:

C said...

This is where our fundamental difference lies.
Dr. Manhattan says he can't let him do that, as he thinks this will put the world back where it was, eventually ending in total destruction.
I do not believe that he think, but that he knows. Because I believe that he has looked into his own future in which he lets the truth be known.

Apolo Imagod said...

@chris he can't look into his future at this point because of the tachyon rays... anyways, that wasn't the question :-) If for the purposes of your answer, you still want to assume you know the outcome (that is, you can see the future somehow), go ahead, I'd still be interested to hear the answer...